Friday, November 28, 2008

Lost Souls Swimming In A Fishbowl

The other night I went out out to a local acoustic bar and grill, and dined and drank with some workmates. The "entertainment" was provided by a couple, their voices and a guitar; and a giant TV.

As we ate and drank our not so cold San Mig Strong Ice, I wondered if it was alright to ask them to play the song stuck in my head. I didn't write on the table napkin and handed out the title of the song since I ASSUMED that they didn't know the song. My assumption was SO WRONG because a few moments later I heard the guy strumming the intro chords of the song.

I wanted to weep...

I assumed not a lot of people in this part of the world knew this quite popular song... I forgot that they, the musical couple, must know it since the band was from their generation. I don't know a lot of people my age who have heard this song or have heard of this great band. Maybe my assumption against my peers are wrong but I know very, very few people who do know this song...



Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd


So,
So you think you can tell
Heaven from Hell?
Blue skies from pain?

Can you tell a green field
From a cold steel rail?
A smile from a veil?
Do you think you can tell?

Did they get you to trade
Your heroes for ghosts?

Hot ashes for trees?
Hot air for a cool breeze?

Cold comfort for change?
Did you exchange
A walk on part in the war
For a lead role in a cage?

How I wish
How I wish you were here
We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

Running over the same old ground
What have we found?
The same old fears
Wish you were here




No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails